History

The Courier has been held in the same family ownership for more than 60 years and now spans four generations.
The Courier was first published in Mt Barker in 1880 and since that time has developed an enviable reputation as a high quality paid newspaper playing a valuable role in keeping the Adelaide Hills communities informed and entertained.
It has been independently owned by the Marston family for more than 60 years and the family still has an active role in the newspapers daily operation.
The family has overseen the development of the paper from the days of hot metal and letterpress machines to the latest digital technology.
The Courier continues to be printed at the newspaper’s Mt Barker offices but these days is a far cry from when the Marston’s bought the company in 1953 when the average size of the paper was 8-12 pages.
The continued growth and changing nature of the district in the ensuing years has seen the paper’s average size grow to 68 pages – all boasting full colour.
With a paid circulation of 9000 The Courier has been the flagship regional newspaper in SA for many years boasting numerous state and national industry awards for its journalism, photography, advertising and production.
The Courier and its staff take an active role in the community and have an unfailing commitment to putting the best interests of the region first.